Effective Spring 2022, students may satisfy the First-Year Composition requirement in the following ways (see FYC Sequences and Placement for more information). Students who entered before Spring 2022, follow the policies for their catalog year.
- Regular Sequence: English 101 + English 102. Students may not take English 102 before passing English 101.
- Intensive Sequence: English 101 and English 103 for students with scores at or below ACT 18 English & 18 Composite or below 450 Verbal & 850 Composite SAT.
- Honors Sequence: English 118 + 200-level English course or English 355 for students who earn a B or better in 118; students who earn a B-, C+, or C in 118 must take English 102. See placement table below for eligibility. Not for Chancellor’s Honors students.
- Chancellor’s Honors Sequence: English 198 (Fall) + English 298 (Spring). Limited to students in the Chancellor’s Honors Program.
- AP Credit Sequence: Credit for English 101 through AP score of 4 or 5 on the AP exam in Literature & Composition or Language & Composition or Seminar AND ACT 29 English and 29 Composite or corresponding SAT scores (see below) + Choice of either English 290 or English 102.
Credit for English 102 through AP score of 4 or 5 on the AP exam in Research AND ACT 29 English and 29 Composite or corresponding SAT scores (see below). NOTE: students are still required to take English 101 or obtain credit for 101 by AP credit through another exam (e.g., Literature & Composition or Language & Composition or Seminar).
All students are encouraged to take a 1-credit Writing Workshop elective at the same time as their FYC course. Any student in English 101, English 131, or English 198 may take English 103. Any student in English 102, 118, 132, 290, or 298 may take English 104.
Students who are taking an FYC course for a fourth time must take a 1-credit Writing Workshop.