Effective Fall 2023, students may satisfy the First-Year Composition requirement in the following ways (see FYC Sequences and Placement for more information). Students who entered before Fall 2023, follow the policies for their catalog year.
- Standard Pathway: English 101 + English 102. Students may not take English 102 before passing English 101.
- Intensive Pathway: English 101 and English 103 for students with scores at or below ACT 18 English & 18 Composite or below 450 Verbal & 850 Composite SAT followed by English 102 and English 104.
- Advanced Pathway: English 112 for students with AP score of 3 on AP Language & Composition and either ACT at or above 29 English and 29 Composite or SAT at or above 680 Verbal and 1280 Composite.
- Honors Pathway: English 101 + English 298; students admitted to an Honors Program are eligible to enroll in English 298 once that have successfully completed English 101 or have earned credit through AP, IB, or Dual Enrollment. Students not in an Honors Program may also enroll if they have prior ENGL 101 credit and ACT at or above 29 English, 29 Composite or SAT at or above 680 Verbal, 1280 Composite.
- AP Credit Sequence: Credit for English 101 through AP score of 4 or 5 on the AP exam in Literature & Composition or Language & Composition or Seminar AND ACT 29 English and 29 Composite or corresponding SAT scores (see below) + English 102.
Credit for English 102 through AP score of 4 or 5 on the AP exam in Research AND ACT 29 English and 29 Composite or corresponding SAT scores (see below). NOTE: students are still required to take English 101 or obtain credit for 101 by AP credit through another exam (e.g., Literature & Composition or Language & Composition or Seminar).
All students are encouraged to take a 1-credit Writing Workshop elective at the same time as their FYC course. Any student in English 101 or English 131 may take English 103. Any student in English 102, 112, 132, or 298 may take English 104.
Students who are taking an FYC course for a fourth time must take a 1-credit Writing Workshop.