Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Satisfying the FYC Requirement

Effective Fall 2021, students may satisfy the First-Year Composition requirement in the following ways (see FYC Sequences and Placement for more information). Students who entered before Fall 2021 follow the policies for their Catalog year.

  1. Regular Sequence: English 101 + English 102. Students may not take English 102 before passing English 101.
  2. Intensive Sequence: English 101 and English 103 for students with scores at or below ACT 18 English &18 Composite or below 450 Verbal & 850 Composite SAT.
  3. Honors Sequence: English 118 + 200-level English course or English 355 for students who earn a B or better in 118; students who earn a B-, C+, or C in 118 must take English 102. Eligibility: ACT 29 English & 29 Composite (or corresponding SAT scores above 680 Verbal and 1280 Composite). Not for Chancellor’s Honors students.
  4. Chancellor’s Honors Sequence: English 198 (Fall) + English 298 (Spring). Limited to students in the Chancellor’s Honors Program.
  5. AP Credit Sequence: Credit for English 101 through AP score of 4 or 5 on the AP exam in Literature & Composition or Language & Composition or Seminar AND ACT 29 English and 29 Composite or corresponding SAT scores (see below) + Choice of either English 290 or English 102. Credit for English 102 through AP score of 4 or 5 on the AP exam in Research AND ACT 29 English and 29 Composite or corresponding SAT scores (see below). NOTE: students are still required to take English 101 or obtain credit for 101 by AP credit through another exam (e.g., Literature & Composition or Language & Composition or Seminar). 
UTK Writing Center — Dr. Kirsten Benson holding the Writing Program Certificate of Excellence awarded to our First-Year Writing Program by Conference on College Composition and Communications.

*AP Credit: A score of 4 or 5 on either the College Board Advanced Placement Test in Literature and Composition, Language and Composition, or Seminar exam gives credit for English 101 only. A score of 4 or 5 on the Research exam gives credit for English 102 only.

NOTE: CLEP credit is not accepted for the First-Year Composition requirement.

Most students fulfill the FYC requirement through one of the above sequences. However, if you are a transfer student, you may have been exempted from all or part of this requirement based upon work completed at your previous institution. The Admissions Office will evaluate your transfer credits. If you did not receive credit for English 101 and/or 102 but feel you should have, you can petition for a waiver by contacting the English Department in 311 McClung Tower, 865-974-5401.

Get Lit

English as a Second Language

English Placement Information

Undergraduate students will primarily be placed into English classes by TOEFL (or equivalent) scores. Please click here for more information.


Sara Melton
Sara Melton
Director of ESL and Lecturer of English