420 McClung Tower
Phone: (865) 974-6953
Fax: (865) 974-6926
- B.A., University of Illinois
- M.A., Ph.D. McGill University
- The Narrow House by Evelyn Scott. Critical Introduction. University of Tennessee Press, 2021. Pages vii-xxvii.
- “Naturalism’s Children: Unruly Naturalism in Works by Darcy Steinke, Joyce Carol Oates, and Lynda Barry,” Studies in American Naturalism 11.2 (Winter 2016): 56-70.
- Twisted from the Ordinary: Essays on American Literary Naturalism (Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 2003)
- Susan Glaspell: A Research and Production Sourcebook (Westport: Greenwood Press, 1992)
- Verging on the Abyss: The Social Fiction of Kate Chopin and Edith Wharton (Westport: Greenwood Press, 1990).
- “Feminar 103: Notes on Teaching about Women, Gender and Sexuality,” The Forum: The Present and Future of Higher Education, 12 October 2020.
- “Feminar 102: Notes on Teaching about Women, Gender and Sexuality,” The Forum: The Present and Future of Higher Education. 29 December 2019.
- “Feminar 101: Notes on Teaching about Women, Gender and Sexuality,” The Forum: The Present and Future of Higher Education. 10 June 2019.
- “Naturalism and Commodity Culture” in The Oxford Handbook of American Literary Naturalism, ed. by Keith Newlin (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011): 291-306.
- “The ‘Other Countries’ of the Human Mind and Soul: James R. Giles on Twentieth-Century Naturalism,” Studies in American Naturalism, 5.1 (Summer 2010):79-91.
- “Why Students Should Read Frank Norris First,” with Anne Mayhew, ALN: The American Literary Naturalism Newsletter 4.1-2: 7-11.
- “So Long As We Read Chopin,” in Awakenings: The Story of the Kate Chopin Revival, ed. by Bernard Koloski (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press): 77-93.
Awards, Honors & Grants
- Notable UT Woman of the Year award, Commission for Women, University of Tennessee, 2018
- D. Allen Carroll Distinguished Teaching Professor, 2015-2017
- Conferred as Distinguished Member of The National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Fall, 2015.
- James R. and Nell W. Cunningham Outstanding Teaching Award, College of Arts & Sciences, The University of Tennessee, 2012
- Chancellor’s Citation for Extraordinary Service to the University, The University of Tennessee, April 2012
- Chancellor’s Citation for Extraordinary Contribution to the Ready for the World Initiative, The University of Tennessee, April 2010
- Elected a Fellow of the Society for Values in Higher Education, 2001
- Elected to Phi Kappa Phi, 1999
- College of Arts & Sciences Senior Faculty Teaching Award, 1998-99
- John C. Hodges Excellence in Teaching Award, 1987
Associations & Organizations
- Chair of the Board for The Tennessee Studies in Literature series, 2008—
- Member of Advisory Board, Kate Chopin Society, 2005 —
- Member of Executive Council and Bibliographer of the Susan Glaspell Society, 2003 —
- Editorial Board, Soundings: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 1995–