M.A., University of Missouri, Kansas City
- Rhetoric and the Display of Art: Dio Chrysostom and Aelius Aristides on Visual and Verbal Art in the Second Sophistic, in progress.
- The Viability of the Rhetorical Tradition, edited with Richard Graff and Art Walzer. Buffalo: SUNY P, 2005.
- Perspectives on Rhetorical Invention, edited with Janice Lauer. Knoxville: U of Tennessee P, 2002.
- Rhetoric Reclaimed: Aristotle and the Liberal Arts Tradition. Ithaca & London: Cornell UP, 1998 rpt, 2009
- Writing: College Handbook, 5th ed., with James Heffernan and John Lincoln (W.W. Norton, 2001)
- Four Worlds of Writing: and Action in Context, with Janice Lauer, Andrea Lunsford, et al. (New York: Addison, Wesley, Longman, 2000).
- “The Rhetoric of Provenance in Antique Rhodes.” Provenance: History of Art & Ownership. Eds. Gail Feigenbaum & Inge Reist. Los Angeles: Getty Research Institute, forthcoming 2010.
- “Rhetoric and Civic Virtue.” The Viability of the Rhetorical Tradition. Albany: SUNY P, 2005 75-92.
- “Aristotle.” Classical Rhetorics and Rhetoricians. Eds. Michelle Ballif and Michael Moran. Westport, CT: Praeger, 2005. 51-64.
- “Refiguring Rhetoric as an Art: Aristotle’s Concept of Techné,” with Janice Lauer. Discourse Studies in Honor of James L. Kinneavy. Ed. Rosalind Gabin. Potomac, MD: Scripta Humanistica, 1995. 25-40.
- “Instituting the Art of Rhetoric: Theory, Practice, and Productive Knowledge in Interpretations of Aristotle’s Rhetoric.” New Perspectives on the Histories of the Rhetorical Tradition. Ed. Takis Poulakos. Boulder: Westview, 1993. 91-117.
- “Contingencies of Historical Representation.” Writing Histories of Rhetoric. Ed. Victor Vitanza. Carbondale: U of Illinois P, 1993. 98-111.
- “Rhetoric and Cultural Explanation: A Discussion with Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak,” with Phillip Sipiora. (Inter)views: Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives on Rhetoric and Literacy. Ed. Gary Olson and Irene Gale. Carbondale: Southern Illinois UP, (1991): 243-254.
- “Bodies and Art.” Rhetoric Society Quarterly, 36: 1 (2006): 165-170.
- “Art and Disciplinarity.” Enculturation 5.2 (2004): http://enculturation.gmu.edu/ 5_2/atwill.html.
- “Rhetoric and Institutional Critique: Uncertainty in the Postmodern Academy.” JAC 22.3 (2002), 640-45.
- “Changing the Puzzle.” Rhetoric Review. 16.1 (1997): 23-25.
- “Aristotle.” Encyclopedia of Rhetoric. Ed. Theresa Enos. New York: 1996. 26-30.
- “Techné.” Encyclopedia of Rhetoric. Ed. Theresa Enos. New York: Garland Publishing, 1996. 719.
- “The Uses of Deception: Epistemological and Axiological Measurement from Hesiod to Aristotle.” Pre/Text 14.1-2 (1993): 344-72.
- “Rhetoric and Cultural Explanation: A Discussion with Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak,” with Phillip Sipiora. JAC 10.2 (1990): 292-304.
- Executive Committee, MLA Division of History and Theory of Rhetoric and Composition, 2005-09
- Chair, MLA Allied Organizations, Rhetoric Society of America, 2007 to 2008
- Board of Directors, Rhetoric Society of America 2006 to 2010
- Chair, Book, Dissertation, & Professional Distinction Awards, Rhetoric Society of America,2006-09
- President, American Society for the History of Rhetoric, 2004 to 2005
- Editorial Board: Philosophy and Rhetoric, Advances in the History of Rhetoric Editorial
- Reader: Advances in the History of Rhetoric, College English, Rhetoric Review, Rhetoric Society Quarterly, Rhetorica, Quarterly Journal of Speech, Oxford University Press, University of South Carolina Press, Southern Illinois University Press
Awards, Honors & Grants
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, 2006-07
- Visiting Fellow, Obermann Center for Advanced Studies and Project on the Rhetoric of Inquiry, University of Iowa, 2006
- Lindsey Young Distinguished Professorship
- Chancellor’s Senior Research Award, 2006
- Hodges Summer Research Grant, University of Tennessee. 1992, 1993, 1999, 2000
- Graduate School Research Grant, University of Tennessee. Summer 1991, 1994, 1998, 2009
- “Civic Virtue and the Province of Rhetoric.” Plenary Session, Rhetoric Society of America, May 2010
- “Stoicism and the Classical Rhetorical Tradition.” Keynote speaker, American Society for the History of Rhetoric, May 2010
- Senior Scholar Discussion Leader, Research Network, Rhetoric Society of America, May 2010
- “Rhetoric, Tolerance, and Diversity in Istanbul’s Hippodrome.” Istanbul University, April 2010
- “Rhetoric as a Stochastic Art.” University of Tennessee Centripetal Lecture, 20January 2008
- “Art & Error in Aelius Aristides.” University of Tennessee Humanities Institute, 19 September 2007
- “Interpreting Aristotle.” University of Iowa, October 2006
- “Techné & Histories of Rhetoric.” University of Iowa, 21 April 2006
- “Bodies and Art.” Symposium on Classical Rhetoric. University of Pittsburgh, 1 April 2005
- “Names and Practices of Honor.” Plenary Speaker, Coalition of Women Scholars in the History of Rhetoric. 16 March 2005
- “Classical Rhetoric and the Teaching of Writing.” Department of English, University of South Florida, 5 June 2002
- “Questioning the Possible: Civic Rhetoric and the Ancient Concept of Art.” Department of English, Temple University, 29 Oct. 2001
- “Finding New Publics in the History of Rhetoric: Or How Reading Isocrates Got Me in (More) Hot Water.” Plenary Speaker, Research Network Forum, Conference on College Composition and Communication. Chicago. 1 April 1998
- “Arts of Virtue, Sedition, and Advantage: Rhetoric and the Paradigm of Techné.” Purdue University, 27 April 1993