Internships are a valuable way to gain real-world experience in your chosen field. They give you material to add to your resume, tangible experience to discuss in cover letters and interviews, and a foot in the door with professionals in your industry. Internships show future employers that you are serious about the work that you do and can bring previous work experience to their organization.
Students can now receive course credit for some internships through ENGL 493.
Below is a list of local and national internship and job opportunities for English majors.
- Early American Literature Digital Media Internship
- College of Education, Health and Human Sciences
- McClung Museum
- Department of Technology Solutions
Publishing & Entertainment Internships
- April Gloaming
- Hachette Book Group
- Harper Collins
- Jupiter Entertainment
- Macmillan Publishers
- Penguin Random House
- Simon and Schuster
- Sundress Publications
- WW Norton
Technical Writing Internships
Misc. Internships and PT Jobs
- Congressional Internship Program
- Esteé Lauder Companies
- Parker Duwey: Opportunities for microinternships
Other University and Local Resources
- College and Industry Specific Job Resources: This site lists current job opportunities organized by field including arts, education, nonprofit, media, communications, and more.
- ConnectUT: Connect UT is a social media platform exclusively for UT alumni to connect, network, and mentor current and former students.
- Alliance for Better Nonprofits Career Center: Looking for a full or part-time job working with nonprofits in the Knoxville area? Be sure to check out the current job calls listed here.
Interviews with Alumni
Many of our undergraduate alumni have completed internships which went on to help them in the professional world. Below you can read interviews with those alumni and learn how their time working with university, nonprofit, and other local internships helped shape their career path.