Effective Fall 2016, students may satisfy the First-Year Composition requirement in the following ways (see FYC Sequences and Placement for more information). Students who entered before Fall 2016 follow the policies for their Catalog year.
- Regular Sequence: English 101 + English 102. Students may not take English 102 before passing English 101.
- Intensive Sequence: English 101 and English 103 [1-credit elective] + English 102 and English 104 [1-credit elective]. Students may not take English 102 before passing English 101.
- Honors Sequence: English 118 + 200-level English course or English 355 for students who earn a B or better in 118; students who earn a B-, C+, or C in 118 must take English 102. Eligibility: ACT 29 English & 29 Composite (or corresponding SAT scores—see FYC Sequences and Placement). Not for Chancellor’s Honors Program students. More information about the regular Honors sequence is available here.
- Chancellor’s Honors Sequence: English 198 (Fall) + English 298 (Spring). Limited to students in the Chancellor’s Honors Program.
- AP Credit Sequence: Credit for English 101 through AP exam score* and ACT 29 English & 29 Composite (or corresponding SAT scores—see FYC Sequences and Placement + Choice of either English 290 or English 102.
*AP Credit: A score of 4 or 5 on either the College Board Advanced Placement Test in Literature and Composition or the Language and Composition exam gives credit for English 101 only.
NOTE: CLEP credit is not accepted for the First-Year Composition requirement.
Most students fulfill the FYC requirement through one of the above sequences. However, if you are a transfer student, you may have been exempted from all or part of this requirement based upon work completed at your previous institution. The Admissions Office will evaluate your transfer credits. If you did not receive credit for English 101 and/or 102 but feel you should have, you can petition for a waiver by contacting the English Department in 311 McClung Tower, 865-974-5401.