PhD student, Graduate Teaching Associate
Staci Poston Conner is a doctoral student with a concentration in 19th-Century Anglo-American Literature. She is particularly interested in Gothic and children's literature.
- Nineteenth-Century American Literature
- Nineteenth-Center British Literature
- Gothic Literature
- Children's and Young Adult Literature
M.A. in English, University of Tennessee, 2014
B.A. in English, Francis Marion University, 2012
- Review of British Women and the Intellectual World in the Long Eighteenth Century, edited by Teresa Barnard. XVIII: New Perspectives on the Eighteenth Century, vol. 14, no. 1, Spring 2017, pp. 68-70.
- "'We are beasts and this is our consolation': Fairy Tale Revision and Combination in Joyce Carol Oates's Beasts." Children's and Young Adult Literature and Culture: A Mosaic of Criticism, edited by Amie Doughty. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2016, pp. 216-228.
- Review of The Gothic Ideology: Religious Hysteria and Anti-Catholicism in British Popular Fiction, 1780-1880, by Diane Long Hoeveler. XVIII: New Perspectives on the Eighteenth Century, vol. 13, no. 1, Spring 2016, pp. 134-135.
- Review of Rakes, Highwaymen, and Pirates: The Making of the Modern Gentleman in the Eighteenth Century, by Erin Mackie. XVIII: New Perspectives on the Eighteenth Century, vol. 12, no. 1, Spring 2015, pp. 107-108.
- Review of Women, Popular Culture, and the Eighteenth Century, edited by Tiffany Potter. XVIII: New Perspectives on the Eighteenth Century, vol. 11, no. 1, Spring 2014, pp. 102-103.
- "Deidre Throughout the Ages: From Celtic Legend to Modern Play." CMOS Sample Paper in The Writer's FAQs: A Pocket Handbook, edited by Muriel Harris and Jennifer Kunka, 5th ed., Pearson, 2013, pp. 266-268.
Awards, Honors & Grants
- John C Hodges Excellence in English 101 Course Design, 2016.
Associations & Organizations
- Co-Chair, UTK Nexus 2016 Conference Committee, 2015-2016.
- PhD Representative, UTK Graduate Students in English, 2016-2017.
- GSAC Liaison, UTK Graduate Students in English, 2015-2016.
- Secretary/Treasurer, UTK Graduate Students in English, 2013-2014.
- "Grave Emergences: Undead Figures in Poe’s ‘Berenice’ and Gilman’s ‘The Giant Wistaria.’” American Literature Association Symposium: “Regionalism and Place in American Literature.” New Orleans, LA (September 2017).
- “‘We are beasts and this is our consolation’: Fairy Tale Revision and Combination in Joyce Carol Oates’s Beasts.” Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association (PCA/ACA) National Conference. New Orleans, LA (April 2015).
- “The Presence of Hamlet Allusions in The Countess of Dellwyn: Sarah Fielding’s Trivial Treatment of Shakespeare’s Tragedy.” Southeastern American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (SEASECS). Charleston, SC (March 2013).
- “Cinema and Christianity as Outlets for Communal Self-Deception in The Bluest Eye.” Philological Association of the Carolinas (PAC). Asheville, NC (March 2011).