Ph.D student, Graduate Teaching Associate
Caroline Wilkinson is a fourth-year Ph.D. candidate in the Creative-Writing Program. Her fiction and poetry have appeared in many literary journals, including Sonora Review, Drunken Boat, and DIAGRAM. Her primary research interest is experimental prose with a focus on work that crosses genre to powerful effect. Her own published work spans many genres, from poetry and fiction to literary criticism on the Victorian novel.
- Contemporary avant-garde and cross-genre writing
- Victorian Novel
MFA in Fiction, Washington University in Saint Louis
BA in English, Vassar College
- "Lettie from the Ocean," *Drunken Boat* (issue 22), 2015.
- “They Won’t Take Your Ideas,” Drunken Boat, Fall 2013
- “The Half-Glass Bed,” Cream City Review, Spring 2012
- “Present Blusters,” Konundrum Engine Literary Review, February 2009
- "A Hasty Conversion," Crossing Rivers Into Twilight, February 2009.
- "The River Beautiful," Konundrum Engine Literary Review, Fall 2006.
- “Key,” DIAGRAM III, Fall 2006
- "Bad Trip," Memorious, Spring 2005.
- "Record" and "Employee of the Months," Can We Have Our Ball Back?, Summer 2004.
- "A Lapse," 42opus, Summer 2003.
- "The Movie Star," DIAGRAM, Fall 2002.
- "Mandatory Audiotape," Square Lake, Fall 2002.
- "Lyme Disease," Sonora Review 71, Fall/Winter (2016): 27.
- "Georgia on Forty-Fourth" and "Undertow," DIAGRAM, August 2016.
- "Day Off." Flower, Rod, Marilyn Hacker, and Martha Kearney, judges. The Hippocrates Prize: The Winning and Commended Poems. London: The Hippocrates Press, 2012.
- "Key," DIAGRAM III, Ed. Ander Monson. Washington, DC Del Sol Press, 2008.
- "The Movie Star," DIAGRAM: An Anthology of Text, Art, and Schematic. Ed. Ander Monson. Washington, DC Del Sol Press, 2003.
- "The ‘Former Sun’ in the Sidereal Clock: The Kabbalistic Heavens and Time in *The Spanish Gypsy* and *Daniel Deronda*,” *George Eliot-George Henry Lewes Studies* 68.1 (2016): 25-42.
- Review of Peter Capuano's Changing Hands: Industry, Evolution, and the Reconfiguration of the Victorian Body, Victoriographies, 7.2 (2017), pp 180-3.
- Review of Anna Henchman’s *The Starry Sky Within: Astronomy and the Reach of the Mind in Victorian Literature*, *George Eliot-George Henry Lewes Studies*, 67.1 (2015), 76-80.
- Review of Hilda Hilst’s *With My Dog-Eyes*, *Rain Taxi*, 20.1 (Spring 2015), Print Edition.
- Review of Juliet Patterson and Rachel Moritz's *Elementary Rituals/Dirge*, *DIAGRAM*, 14.1 (2013).
- Review of Kate Bernheimer's *The Complete Tales of Lucy Gold*, *Rain Taxi*, (Summer 2012), Online Edition.
- Review of Amy King's Kiss Me With the Mouth of Your Country, Tarpaulin Sky, Spring 2008.
- Review of Mark Nowak's iWorkers of the World, Unite and Fight!, Tarpaulin Sky, Fall 2006.
Awards, Honors & Grants
- Tucson Festival of Books, Poetry Contest, Semi-Finalist, Spring 2017.
- Tusculum Review Fiction Prize, Finalist, "Paper Boats," Spring 2014
- A. David Schwartz Fiction Prize, Cream City Review, “The Half-Glass Bed,” Summer 2012
- Third-Year Fiction Fellowship, Washington University, May 2012
- Hippocrates International Poetry Open Competition, Commendation, “Day Off,” Spring 2012
- Alena Wilson Fiction Prize, Washington University, “Paper Boats,” Spring 2012
- Carrie S. Galt Fiction Prize, Washington University, “The Myth Fax,” Spring 2011
- Money for Women/Barbara Deming Memorial Fund, Fiction Grant, Spring 1999
Associations & Organizations
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs
- National Book Critics Circle
- North American Victorian Studies Association
- "The Handmade Landscape: Manual Labor and the Construction of Eden in Martin Chuzzlewit," Lancaster, England (March 16, 2017)
- "Burying 'All Bad Things': The Construction of Memory's Eden in Dickens's America," Dickens Winter Conference, Lexington, KY (February 23, 2017)