Allie Johnston is a doctoral student in Rhetoric, Writing, and Linguistics with specific research interests in writing center studies, first-year composition, and multi-modality
- M.A. in Composition, Rhetoric, and English Studies, The University of Alabama, 2017
- B.A. in English-Writing from Lipscomb University, 2015
Co-written with Tom Polk and Alissa Russell. "Opportunity/Exploitation." Symposium on the State of Graduate of Graduate Study in Rhetoric and Composition. XChanges: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Technical Communication, Rhetoric, and Writing Across the Curriculum, vol. 14, no. 2, May 2020.
Co-written with Alisa Russell, Jake Chase, and Justin Nicholes. "The Writing Across the Curriculum Graduate Organization: Where We've Been, Where We Are, and Where We're Going." Diverse Approaches to Teaching, Learning,T and Writing Across the Curriculum: IWAC at 25. The WAC Clearinghouse, April 2020.
- Book Review: The Framework for Success in Postsecondary Writing: Scholarship and Applications. Teaching English in the Two-Year College. (Dec. 2018).
- Russell, Alisa, Jake Chase, Justin Nicholes, and Allie Sockwell. “The Writing Across the Curriculum Graduate Organization: Where We’ve Been, Where We Are, and Where We’re Going.” International Writing Across the Curriculum 2018 Edited Collection. [forthcoming]
Associations & Organizations
- Association for Writing Across the Curriculum, Writing Across the Curriculum Graduate Organization Committee Chair, Nov. 2018-present.
Writing Across the Curriculum Graduate Organization: Coordinator Position, Aug. 2017 to May 2018. Chair, Aug. 2018-present.
Writing Program Administration Graduate Organization member. Feb. 2018 to present.
International Writing Center Association Student Member Aug. 2017-present.
Southeastern Writing Center Association Student Member Feb. 2016-present.
University of Alabama Assistant Writing Center Director, Aug. 2016-May 2017.
Lipscomb University Writing Studio Student Administrator, Jan. 2014-May 2015.
Conference on College Composition and Communication, “Tracing Transfer: Reports of Transfer in Multimodal, Multilingual, and Writing Center Contexts.” Milwaukee, WI, March 2020 (Cancelled).
- Conference on College Composition and Communication, "Investigating Student Dispositions: Results from an Ongoing Writing Program Research Initiative at the University of Tennessee," Pittsburgh, PA, March 2019.
- Conference on Writing Program Administration, "Mission (Im)Possible: The Rhetoric of Mission Statements in University Writing Programs, Baltimore, MD. July 2019.
- International Writing Center Association, “Understanding Students’ Approaches to Writing Support.” Columbus, OH. October 2019.
- International Writing Center Association, “Space and Spying: Interrogating the Rhetorical Choices of Writing Center Spaces in Cracking Cases,” Chicago, IL. Nov. 2017.
- National Conference on Peer Tutoring and Writing, “Don’t Forget About ME! Meeting the Needs of Marginalized Students in the Writing Center,” Tacoma, WA. Nov. 2016.
Southeastern Writing Center Association, “Inclusivity in the Writing Center,” Columbus, GA. 2016.
Southeastern Writing Center Association, “Role of Student Administrators,” Nashville, TN. 2015.
Lipscomb University Student Scholars Symposium, award for academic paper “History of the English Language," 2014.
- Alpha Chi National Conference, “The Summer We Grew Up” (Creative Nonfiction) St. Louis, MO. 2014.