Skip to content

MA with Creative Writing Concentration

1. A minimum of thirty hours in the Department of English beyond the BA degree.

  • Six hours at the 600 level
  • Twelve additional hours at the 500 to 600 level.
    • A student may apply only 3 credit hours of 593—independent study—toward the MA in English.
    • Note: Writing students may substitute one 400-level writing course for one 500-level course.
    • Six hours of graduate credit at any level, including the 400 level.
    • The above course work must include at least nine hours of creative writing classes.

Students must maintain at least a B average. Of the nine hours of required course work in Creative Writing, at least three hours must be taken at the 500 level; additional 500-level courses are strongly recommended. A student may apply only three hours of 593—independent study—toward the MA in English.

2. A creative thesis: a collection of poems or short stories, a short novel, a play, or a creative work of nonfiction prose are acceptable. In addition to the project director, two other English department faculty members will supervise and approve the project.

3. Evidence of proficiency in one foreign language, to be fulfilled in one of the following ways:

  • Completion of a second year (or demonstration of competence on a waiver or proficiency examination) of a language at the college level with a grade of C or better.

Note: This method does not satisfy a PhD language requirement, but the following two do.

  • French 302 or German 332 at UT with a grade of B or better.
  • Passing UT’s regular PhD foreign language examination as currently administered.
  • Non-native-English speakers may offer a native language for completion of the language requirement for the MA. Note: A master’s student who cannot demonstrate proficiency in any approved language under any of the available options within three attempts must leave the program without a degree.

4. A thesis defense and an oral final examination.

Note: There is no residency requirement for the MA degree, but students should attempt to pursue a full-time program whenever possible. We offer only a few courses in the summer, making it very unlikely that a candidate could complete a degree only in the summers.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.