Resources for New and Returning Lecturers and Graduate Students
Welcome to the University of Tennessee’s award-winning first-year composition program! On this website, you will find detailed information about our program and our upcoming August workshops.
This information is relevant for new and returning lecturers, as well as for new and returning graduate teaching assistants and associates. To help you find what you need to know, we developed population-specific checklists, which are located under the Checklists link below.
Fall 2019 August Workshops will take place Tuesday, August 13 through Friday, August 16. New graduate students should also attend the GSE Orientation on Monday, August 12.
The schedules for August Workshops and the GSE Orientation are listed below, along with the schedule for Department Meetings, Lecturers’ Retreat, & Receptions on Tuesday, August 20.
August workshops provide new lecturers and graduate students the opportunity to learn our rhetoric- and transfer-based curriculum. Returning lecturers and graduate students have the opportunity to deepen their knowledge of the curriculum and hone their teaching practices.
If you have participated in August workshops in the past, you may notice that this year’s schedule looks a bit different from previous years. We separated populations into tracks so that individuals can get information about our FYC program that is tailored to their specific needs.
If you have any questions about August workshops, feel free to contact one of the directors of FYC:
- Assistant Director Paige Elizabeth Walker
- Office hours: Mondays 1-3 p.m. and Wednesdays 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and by appointment in Hodges Library Starbucks.
- Associate Director Daniel Wallace
- Office hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:30-2 p.m. and by appointment in Room 2446 in Dunford Hall.
- Director of Composition Jeff Ringer
- Office hours: Monday and Tuesday from 2-3 p.m. and by appointment in 311 McClung Tower.
- GSE Orientation, Mon., 8/12 (new graduate students) [PDF]
- Schedule for New MA/MFA Students [PDF]
- Schedule for Second-Year MA/MFA Students [PDF]
- New PhD & Lecturer Workshops Schedule 2019 [PDF]
- Schedule for Returning PhD Students and Lecturers [PDF]
- Department Meetings and Receptions (all members of the department) [PDF] — includes important opening meetings and announcements
- General Announcements – an abbreviated list of which staff members are responsible for which tasks [Word]
- Lecturers’ Retreat [PDF]
- Jeff Ringer, Director of First-Year Composition [PDF]
- Daniel Wallace, Associate Director of First-Year Composition [PDF]
- Paige Elizabeth Walker, Assistant Director of First-Year Composition [PDF]
- Hooman Saeli, Interim Director of ESL [PDF]
- Kirsten Benson, Director of the Writing Center [PDF]
- Heather Hirschfeld, Director of Undergraduate Studies [PDF]
- Laurie Knox, Lecturer Representative [PDF]
- John Nichols, Chair, Graduate Students of English [PDF]
- Charissa Powell, Student Success Librarian for Information Literacy [PDF]
- Kristin Arola Poster [PDF]
- Readings and Resources
- The New London Group, “A Pedagogy of Multiliteracies: Designing Social Futures”
- Shipka, “Negotiating Rhetorical, Material, Methodological, and Technological Difference”
- Ball, Sheppard, and Arola, “How Do I Assess My Students’ Multimodal Work?”
- Keynote slides (Thursday 8/15)
- Workshop slides (Friday 8/16)
- Workshop handout (Friday 8/16)
- Archive of multimodal assignments
- English 101 MWF Syllabus Template Fall 2019 [Word]
- English 101 MWF Syllabus Template Table Schedule Fall 2019 [Word]
- English 101 TTH Syllabus Template Fall 2019 [Word]
- English 101 TTH Syllabus Template Table Schedule Fall 2019 [Word]
- English 102 Syllabus Template Fall 2019 [Word]
- English198 Syllabus Template Fall 2019 [Word]
The syllabus review survey will be available from 8/8 to 8/20
- Please take a few minutes to complete our August Workshops Survey. Your feedback will help us make next year’s workshops even better.