B.A., M.A., San Francisco State University
Ph.D., University of Houston
- The Late World (Carnegie Mellon University Press, 2002)
- Orders of Affection (Carnegie Mellon University Press, 1996)
- Elegy on Independence Day (University of Pittsburgh Press, 1985).
Poems in Chicago Review, Cincinnati Poetry Review, The Georgia Review, The Missouri Review, The Nation, New England Review , The New Yorker, The North American Review, Northwest Review, The Ohio Review, Poetry, Poetry Miscellany, Prosodia, Poetry International,TriQuarterly, descant, Sonora Review, Southern Poetry Review, The Seattle Review, Stand (England), Three Rivers Poetry Journal, Crazyhorse, MSS, The Pennsylvania Review, Indiana Review, Prairie Schooner, The Iowa Review, The Gettysburg Review, The Kenyon Review, The Southern Review, DoubleTake, Gulf Coast, Atlanta Review, Shenandoah, and Chattahoochee Review.
Awards, Honors & Grants
- Member of Tennessee Arts Commission, Literature Panel (1991- 1994)
- Pushcart Prize, 1988 (Volume XIII)
- Theodore Morrison Fellow in Poetry, 1987 (Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference)
- Pushcart Prize, 1986 (Volume XI)
- Consuelo Ford Award, 1986 (Poetry Society of America)
- Norma Farber First Book Award, 1985 (Poetry Society of America)
- Agnes Lynch Starrett Poetry Prize, 1984 (University of Pittsburgh Press)
- Cullen Dissertation Fellowship, 1983-84
- National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowship, 1984
- Alan Collins Scholar in Poetry, 1983 (Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference)
- Discovery/The Nation Poetry Award, 1981.