Matthew Brock has his PhD in English with a concentration in Creative Fiction.
- Ph.D. University of Tennessee, 2017
- M.F.A. University of Mississippi, 2005
- B.A. University of Tennessee, 2001
Awards, Honors & Grants
- Norman J. Sanders Dissertation Fellowship, University of Tennessee, 2015-2016
- John C Hodges Fellowship for New Graduate Students, 2012-2017
- Graduate Fellowship, University of Mississippi, 2002-2005
- Monroe Thompson Fellowship, Southern Writers Reading Conference, 2004
- Barksdale Award, University of Mississippi, 2002
- Woodruff Award for Creative Writing, University of Tennessee, 2001
- Captain Robert A Burke Award in Fiction, University of Tennessee, 2001
Associations & Organizations
- Assistant Fiction Editor, GRIST: The Journal for Writers, University of Tennessee, 2015.
- Guest Introducer for M.O,. Walsh's Fiction Reading, Writers in the Library, University of Tennessee, 2015
- Guest Host for David James Poissant's Fiction Reading, Writers in the Library, University of Tennessee, 2014
- MFA Admissions Round-table for Undergraduates, University of Tennessee, 2013
Short Fiction in Anthologies
- "Wild Kind" Appalachia Now: Contemporary Fiction. Huron, OH: Bottom Dog Press, 2015.
- "First Night." The Best of Clapboard House. Ed. Burney Carol Marsh. Statesboro, GA: Clapboard House Press, 2013. 19-20.
- "Those Steel Arms." The Alumni Grill II: Anthology of Southern Writers. Eds. Tom Franklin and Beth Ann Fennelly. San Francisco: MacAdam/Cage, 2005. 105-21.
- "Squirrel's Chair," Stories from the Blue Moon Cafe III: Anthology of Southern Writers. Ed. Sonny Brewer. San Francisco: MacAdam/Cage, 2004. 57-72.
Short Fiction in Literary Journals
- "The Men and the Mare." Quarterly West 84 (2015).
- "The Pamphleteers." Bayou Magazine 59 (Spring 2013): 113-36.
- "Sole Vibrations." Arkansas Review 42.2 (August 2011): 128-41.
- "Dark Season." LITnIMAGE (Summer 2011).
- "Search History." The Good Men Project (Summer 2011)
- "Planning Won't Save You." The Greensboro Review. 88 (Fall 2010) 8-30.
- "First Night." Clapboard House (August 2008).
- "Losing Mandy." The Chattahoochee Review 23.3 (Spring 2005): 15-28.
Nonfiction in Anthologies
- "Light from Spaces." A Short Ride: Remembering Barry Hannah. Ed Louis Bourgeois, et al. Oxford, MS: VOX Press, 2012. 19-24.
Nonfiction in Literary Journals
- "Bright Nothing." War, Literature and the Arts 23 (2011) 1-8.