PhD student, Graduate Teaching Associate
Kimberly Turner is a doctoral student with a concentration in Rhetoric, Writing, and Linguistics focusing on Rhetoric.
- Rhetoric, Writing, & Linguistics
- Rhetoric and new media
- Queer Theory
M.A. University North Carolina, Charlotte,
B.A. Francis Marion University,
- "Queering the Single White Female: Girls and the Interrupted Promise of the Twenty-Something." Girls: Questions of Gender, Politics, and Millennial Angst. Ed. Betty Kaklamanidou and Peggy Tally. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 2014. Print.
- "You Are What You Eat: The Fight for Food Safety." (Sample MLA Paper). Prentice Hall Reference Guide, 8th ed. Eds,. Muriel Harris and Jennifer Kunka. Boston: Prentice-Pearson, 2011. Print.
- "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health Disparities, and President Obama's Commitment for Change in Health Care." With Janis McWayne, Matthew Porter, Jennifer Green, Benjamin Miller, Clay Poston, Gilberto Sanchez, and Jeremy Rivers. Race, Gender, & Class Journal 17.3-4 (2010): 272-87. Print.
- Cranes, David. The Selected Plays of David Cranes. Ed. Jon Tuttle. San Diego: Level 4, July/August 2011. Print (Editorial Assistant)
Associations & Organizations
- Modern Language Association
- Popular Culture Association of the South
- South Eastern Writing Center Association
- Sigma Tau Delta Nu Rho
- English Graduate Student Association’s 13th Annual Graduate Student Conference. Charlotte, NC. January 2013.
- “Kicking Death in the Ass While Singing: Examining the YOLO Millennial.” Popular Culture Association in the South/American Culture Association in the South Conference. With Ellen Moore. New Orleans, LA. October 2014.
- “‘Do You Not Love Another?’: Homoerotic Desire, the Biblical Creation Story, and the Rogue Adam in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.” Philological Association of the Carolinas Conference. Myrtle Beach, SC. March 2014.
- “Queering the Single White Female: Girls and the Promise of the Twenty-Something.” Popular Culture Association in the South/American Culture Association in the South Conference. Savannah, GA. October 2013. Panel chair and presenter.
- “Toward an Understanding of Wuthering Heights as a Lesbian Text.” Carolina Emerging Scholars Conference: “Deathless Love.” Columbia, SC. June 2013.
- “Toward an Understanding of Wuthering Heights as a Lesbian Text.” English Graduate Student Association’s 13th Annual Graduate Conference. Charlotte, NC. January 2013.
- “The Obama Administration’s Progress and Challenges of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Straight, and Transgendered Health in America.” With Dr. Janis McWayne, Matthew Porter, Jennifer Green, Benjamin Miller, Clay Poston, Gilberto Sanchez, and Jeremy Rivers. Race, Gender, and Class Conference. New Orleans, LA. March 2010.
Guest Presentations and Lectures Moderator.
- “Panel Session IV: With Megan Abbott and Ron Carlson.” Pee Dee Fiction and Poetry Festival. Florence, SC. November 2014.
- “Queer Theory.” SOCI 339: Sociological Theory. Professor R. Corey Remle. Francis Marion University. Florence, SC. April, 2015. November 2014, April 2014, November 2013.
- “Top 10 Things To Do to Get Into Graduate School.” Written and presented with Megan Weaver. Graduate School Preparation Workshop. English Majors Day. University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Charlotte, NC. Spring 2013