Professor and Chair of Excellence
Professor Harjo is the author of eight books of poetry, a memoir, two children’s books, a collaboration with photographer/astronomer Stephen Strom, an anthology of North American Native women’s writing, several screenplays and two plays. Her first play, Wings of Night Sky, Wings of Morning Light will be published by Wesleyan University next year. She has also produced several CD’s of original music and is at work on a musical play, We Were There When Jazz Was Invented, and a new album of music. She has begun research and writing on her next memoir which will be an historical memoir. Her areas of research include North American Native and World Indigenous literatures and music, contemporary American poetry and memoir, jazz, blues, and indigenous American music.
Professor Harjo has taught undergraduate and graduate courses in creative writing poetry and memoir, and Native literature courses.
High School Institute of American Indian Arts, Santa Fe, NM
B.A. University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
M.F.A. Iowa Writers Workshop, Iowa City, IA
Awards, Honors & Grants
- Griffin Prize Shortlist for book of poetry: Conflict Resolution for Holy Beings, 2016
- American Library Association Notable Book: Conflict Resolution for Holy Beings, 2016
- Outstanding Teaching Fall of 2015 University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Wallace Stevens Award, Academy of American Poets 2015
- Oklahoma Writers Hall of Fame, Tulsa 2014
- Guggenheim Fellowship for Creative Non-Fiction, 2014
- PEN USA Literary Award in Creative Non Fiction for Crazy Brave 2013
- Muscogee Creek Nation Hall of Fame Induction 2012
- Indian Summer Music Award for Best Contemporary Instrumental 2011
- Mvskoke Women’s Initiative, Artist of the Year 2011
- Aboriginal Music Awards, Finalist for Best Flute Album of 2011
- Rasmuson US Artists Fellowship Award 2009
- Native American Music Award (NAMMY) Best Female Artist of the Year 2009
- Arnell Gibson Lifetime Achievement Award, Oklahoma Book Awards 2003
- Eagle Spirit Achievement Award, American Indian Film Festival 2002
- National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowships 1992 and 1978
- The London Observer Best Book of 1997 for Reinventing the Enemy’s Language, 1997
- Delmore Schwartz Memorial Award for Poetry, NYU 1991
- William Carlos Williams Award from the Poetry Society of America for In Mad Love and War, 1991
Conflict Resolution for Holy Beings. New York, NY, W.W.Norton, Fall 2015
Crazy Brave. New York, NY, W.W. Norton, 2012
Karta Over Nasta Varld (poetry), translated by Stewe Clauson, Stockholm, Sweden; Bokforlaget Tranan Press 2012
Soul Talk, Song Language, Conversations with Joy Harjo. Middleton, CT; Wesleyan Univesity Press 2011.
For a Girl Becoming. Tucson; University of Arizona 2009
How We Became Human: New and Selected Poems, 1975-2001. New York: W.W. Norton, 2002.
Joy Harjo, A Koma Tilbake Fra Fienden, Urval og giendileting ved Lars Amund Vaage, Cappelen (Press), Norway 2006
A Map to the Next World: Poems and Tales. New York: W.W. Norton, 2000.
The Good Luck Cat. (Children’s book). Illustrated by Paul Lee. San Diego: Harcourt, Inc. 2000.
Reinventing the Enemy’s Language: Contemporary Native Women’s Writing of North America. Ed. Joy Harjo and Gloria Bird. New York: W.W. Norton, 1997.
The Woman Who Fell From the Sky. New York: W.W. Norton, 1994.
Fishing (Chapbook). Minnesota: Oxhead Press, 1992.
In Mad Love and War. Connecticut: Wesleyan University Press, 1990.
- Italian translation by Laura Coltelli. Urbino, Italy: QuattroVenti, 1996.
Secrets from the Center of the World. Photographs by Stephen Strom. Tucson: University of Arizona
- Italian translation by Laura Coltelli. Urbino, Italy: QuattroVenti, 1992.
- French translation, 2001.
She Had Some Horses. New York: Thunder’s Mouth Press, 1984.
- Italian translation by Laura Coltelli, 2001.
What Moon Drove Me To This? Berkeley: Reed and Cannon, 1980.
The Last Song (Chapbook). Las Cruces, NM: Puerto del Sol Books, 1975.
CDs of Music
Red Dreams, A Trail Beyond Tears, Mekko Productions Inc 2010
Winding Through the Milky Way, Fast Horse Records 2008, Mekko Productions Inc 2009
She Had Some Horses, (CD)Honolulu; Mekko Productions, 2006.
Producer, poet and distributor.
Native Joy for Real (CD). Los Angeles: Mekko Productions, 2004.
Letter from the End of the Twentieth Century (CD), Albuquerque, Silver Wave Productions, and Red Horses Records 1996