Caroline Wilkinson is a post-doctoral lecturer who examines how genres intersect within a single text. She specifically explores how poetic modes and imagery can determine narrative structure in short fiction and novels. In her stories, which include a dozen published works, reoccurring images transform in plots that focus on the interior states and social worlds of the characters. In her literary criticism, she examines how Victorian authors use poetic modes and imagery to structure narratives that express the silenced realities of the socially marginalized.
Ph.D. in English, Creative-Writing Dissertation, University of Tennessee
MFA in Fiction, Washington University in Saint Louis
BA in English, Vassar College
- “Elliptical Tick.” Witness. Forthcoming.
- "Lettie from the Ocean," Drunken Boat (issue 22), 2015.
- “They Won’t Take Your Ideas,” Drunken Boat, Fall 2013
- “The Half-Glass Bed,” Cream City Review, Spring 2012
- “Present Blusters,” Konundrum Engine Literary Review, February 2009
- "A Hasty Conversion," Crossing Rivers Into Twilight, February 2009.
- "The River Beautiful," Konundrum Engine Literary Review, Fall 2006.
- “Key.” DIAGRAM, issue 6, no. 5, Fall 2006
- "Bad Trip," Memorious, Spring 2005.
- "Record" and "Employee of the Months," Can We Have Our Ball Back?, Summer 2004.
- "A Lapse," 42opus, Summer 2003.
- "The Movie Star," DIAGRAM, Fall 2002.
- "Mandatory Audiotape," Square Lake, Fall 2002.
- “Communications for Health-Care Worker.” Fourteen Hills, forthcoming.
- "Get In," "Come On, Landscape!" and "Analogous," DIAGRAM, forthcoming.
- “Roller-skating in a Redlined Neighborhood.” descant, vol. 57, 2018.
- “Went to Tennessee.” Permafrost Magazine, issue 40, no. 2, Summer Online 2018.
- "Lyme Disease," Sonora Review 71, Fall/Winter (2016): 27.
- "Georgia on Forty-Fourth" and "Undertow," DIAGRAM, August 2016.
- "Day Off." Flower, Rod, Marilyn Hacker, and Martha Kearney, judges. The Hippocrates Prize: The Winning and Commended Poems. London: The Hippocrates Press, 2012.
- "Key," DIAGRAM III, Ed. Ander Monson. Washington, DC Del Sol Press, 2008.
- "The Movie Star," DIAGRAM: An Anthology of Text, Art, and Schematic. Ed. Ander Monson. Washington, DC Del Sol Press, 2003.
- "The Handmade Landscape: Manual Labor and the Construction of Eden in Dickens's Martin Chuzzlewit." Dickens Studies Annual, vol. 49, no. 2, 2018, pp. 330-348.
- "The ‘Former Sun’ in the Sidereal Clock: The Kabbalistic Heavens and Time in *The Spanish Gypsy* and *Daniel Deronda*,” *George Eliot-George Henry Lewes Studies* 68.1 (2016): 25-42.
- Review of Peter Capuano's Changing Hands: Industry, Evolution, and the Reconfiguration of the Victorian Body, Victoriographies, 7.2 (2017), pp 180-3.
- Review of Anna Henchman’s *The Starry Sky Within: Astronomy and the Reach of the Mind in Victorian Literature*, *George Eliot-George Henry Lewes Studies*, 67.1 (2015), 76-80.
- Review of Hilda Hilst’s *With My Dog-Eyes*, *Rain Taxi*, 20.1 (Spring 2015), Print Edition.
- Review of Juliet Patterson and Rachel Moritz's *Elementary Rituals/Dirge*, *DIAGRAM*, 14.1 (2013).
- Review of Kate Bernheimer's *The Complete Tales of Lucy Gold*, *Rain Taxi*, (Summer 2012), Online Edition.
- Review of Amy King's Kiss Me With the Mouth of Your Country, Tarpaulin Sky, Spring 2008.
- Review of Mark Nowak's iWorkers of the World, Unite and Fight!, Tarpaulin Sky, Fall 2006.
Awards, Honors & Grants
- Hodges Award for Excellence as an Experienced Tutor, 2017-2018.
- Chancellor’s Top-off Fellowship, University of Tennessee, Fall 2017-Spring 2018.
- Emperor Fellowship, University of Tennessee, Spring 2017
- Tucson Festival of Books, Poetry Contest, Semi-Finalist, Spring 2017.
- Tusculum Review Fiction Prize, Finalist, "Paper Boats," Spring 2014
- A. David Schwartz Fiction Prize, Cream City Review, “The Half-Glass Bed,” Summer 2012
- Third-Year Fiction Fellowship, Washington University, May 2012
- Hippocrates International Poetry Open Competition, Commendation, “Day Off,” Spring 2012
- Alena Wilson Fiction Prize, Washington University, “Paper Boats,” Spring 2012
- Carrie S. Galt Fiction Prize, Washington University, “The Myth Fax,” Spring 2011
- Money for Women/Barbara Deming Memorial Fund, Fiction Grant, Spring 1999
Associations & Organizations
- Modern Language Association
- Association of Writers and Writing Programs
- National Book Critics Circle
- North American Victorian Studies Association
- Interdisciplinary Nineteenth-Century Studies