See Also: Frequently Asked Questions
Visit Graduate Admissions to apply for the MA, the MFA, or the PhD program in English. All materials should be submitted to the Graduate School through the online application; more detailed instructions may be found in the application form itself.
Application Deadlines: (We admit for fall semester only.)
PhD program: December 1.
MA program: January 15.
MFA program: January 15.
Note: Applications completed after these dates will not be considered for admission. The Department of English’s deadlines supersede the Graduate School’s deadline of February 1. These deadlines apply both to domestic and to international students.
Required Application Materials:
- Online Graduate School application.
- Statement of Purpose (1-2 pages describing your reasons for applying to a graduate program in English and the kind of study you wish to pursue, including your area(s) of interest.)
- A $60 nonrefundable application fee.
- Transcripts for all colleges and universities previously attended. Copies of unofficial transcripts (not web-based academic histories) should be uploaded into the online application prior to submission of the application. Do not send hard copies of official transcripts until you have received notification of admission from the Office of Graduate Admissions. After you have received such notification, hard copies should be mailed to: The University of Tennessee-Knoxville, Office of Graduate Admissions, 201 Student Services Building, Knoxville, TN 37996.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A critical writing sample of up to twenty pages with works cited (longer works discouraged). Applicants for the MFA concentration and for the PhD with Creative Dissertation must also submit a creative writing sample of no more than twenty-five pages of fiction or creative nonfiction, or fifteen poems.
- Copies of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores. All applicants should take the General Test, no matter what concentration or degree. In order for your GRE scores to reach us by the deadline, you should take the test no later than the middle of October for the December 1 deadline and middle of November for the January 15th deadline.
- International students must submit TOEFL scores as required by the Graduate School.
- CV / Resume — 1-2 pages outlining your work, publication(s), and teaching experience, if any.
For More Information:
Office of Graduate Studies in English
Office of Graduate and International Records and Admissions