Resources for New and Returning Lecturers and Graduate Students
Welcome to the University of Tennessee’s award-winning first-year composition program! On this website, you will find detailed information about our program and our upcoming August workshops.
This information is relevant for new and returning lecturers, as well as for new and returning graduate teaching assistants and associates. To help you find what you need to know, we developed population-specific checklists, which are located under the Checklists link below.
Fall 2017 August Workshops will take place Wednesday, August 16 through Friday, August 18. New graduate students should also attend the GSE Orientation on Tuesday, August 15.
The schedules for August Workshops and the GSE Orientation are listed below, along with the schedule for Department Meetings, Lecturers’ Retreat, & Receptions on Tuesday, August 22.
August workshops provide new lecturers and graduate students the opportunity to learn our rhetoric- and transfer-based curriculum. Returning lecturers and graduate students have the opportunity to deepen their knowledge of the curriculum and hone their teaching practices.
If you have participated in August workshops in the past, you may notice that this year’s schedule looks a bit different from previous years. We separated populations into tracks so that individuals can get information about our FYC program that is tailored to their specific needs.
If you have any questions about August workshops, feel free to contact one of the directors of FYC:
- Assistant Director Coralyn Foults
- Associate Director Tawnysha Greene
- Director of Composition Jeff Ringer
- Jeff Ringer, Director of First-Year Composition [PDF]
- Tawnysha Greene, Associate Director of First-Year Composition [PDF]
- Coralyn Foults, Assistant Director of First-Year Composition [PDF]
- Tanita Saenkhum, Director of ESL [PDF]
- Kirsten Benson, Director of the Writing Center [PDF]
- Anthony Welch, Director of Undergraduate Studies [PDF]
- Erin Smith, Lecturer Representative [PDF]
- Allison Clymer, Chair, Graduate Students of English [PDF]
- Kelly Tilton, Information Literacy Instruction Librarian [PDF]
- Guidelines for Teaching FYC at UTK 2017-2018 [PDF]
- English 101 Overview for Instructors [PDF]
- English 101 Assignment Sheets [Word]
- English 101 Possible Readings for Units 1 and 2 [PDF]
- Reader’s Guide for This Year’s Life of the Mind Book [PDF]
- Discussion Questions for This Year’s Life of the Mind Book
- Course Policies and Syllabus Guidelines [PDF]
- English 101 MWF Syllabus Template Table Schedule [Word]
- English 101 MWF Syllabus Template Non-Table Schedule [Word]
- English 101 TR Syllabus Template Table Schedule [Word]
- English 101 TR Syllabus Template Non-Table Schedule [Word]
- English 102 Syllabus Template No Schedule [Word]
The syllabus review survey will be available from 8/1 to 8/20
- Please take a few minutes to complete our August Workshops Survey. Your feedback will help us make next year’s workshops even better.